Welcome, Youth Change-Makers!
Chipotle with Earth Force bring you the Sustainability Challenge, where young people take action to improve their local food systems through choosing community-based projects like bringing more organic food to their schools or creating local composting initiatives to improve their neighborhood's soil health.
How it Works
SUBMIT ACTION PLAN
Here's where you'll research your community and tell us how you're going to make your food system more sustainable.
ACTION PLAN FUNDING
We’ll review your budget and contribute funding (average $500-$1,000) toward your plan. Apply by January 31 to ensure there is funding available. The first 100 complete submissions will also receive an extra $100.*
SUBMIT ACTION STORY
Here's when you submit the story of how you took action and asked for a change.
The top 30 submissions will present at the Challenge Showcase! The top 15 submissions will each win $1000 and the top 16-30 submissions will each win $500.*
Let's get started.
If you are between 8 and 18 and residing in the USA, you are eligible to participate. We encourage young people with different abilities and interests to participate in the Challenge. We want to hear your ideas for making your food systems more sustainable. Applications will be accepted in English and Spanish. Though our documents are currently presented only in English, we are hoping to change this in the future.
Yes! If you want to use the Workbook or Shortcut, we suggest opening it in Adobe Reader to be able to save your work.
We're here to answer any questions. Reach out to Rai anytime: firstname.lastname@example.org
It’s your food’s path from beginning to end, including production, harvesting, processing, transport, packaging, consumption, and disposal of food, that originates from agriculture (crops), livestock (meats), and fisheries (seafood).
It means talking to someone in power to amend or create a policy or practice that can have a positive impact in your local community.
Your Action Story is the way you tell the world how you asked for a change to your food system. It can be created in any format - video, audio, digital presentation, or something new!
The submission process is simple to follow. Your Adult Partner will submit your Action Plan and Action Story. The submission portal is located at earthforce.org/csc.
- Submit your Action Plan to get money to carry out your Plan. Money is first-come, first-serve. Apply by January 31 to ensure you get your budget funded!
- Submit your Action Story by March 31 to be eligible for prize money. This is the documentation of how you took action. It can be in any format!
You can choose to either work by yourself or work in a group (there is no limit).
You can choose your own issue! Projects must investigate a local food system and ask for a change.
Yes you can! As long as you have not finished the project, you can join the Challenge.
Guess what? It's free! There are no costs for you, your school, or family to join the Challenge.
You can complete your research, action plan, and action within a week or you can take a month. All projects have different timelines and objectives - there is no set amount of time required. However, doing enough research and having a clear action plan will help you get closer to winning the top prizes!
We understand that some actions may have some hiccups and take longer to be completed, therefore we will also accept submissions of those actions that are on their way to being implemented.
That’s okay. We love to hear about projects that were successful and those that struggled to achieve their end goal. Civic change can take a few tries. Judges’ feedback this year might help you tweak your plan to try again!
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Open to legal residents of the 50 U.S. & DC, ages 8 to 18 years (minors must have parental consent). Enter between approx. 12:00pm MT on 10/04/21 – approx. 11:59 pm MT on 03/31/22. For Official Rules including how to enter, entry limitations, Earth Force and Chipotle’s usage rights, and prize descriptions, visit earthforce.org/csc. Sponsor: Earth Force, Inc.
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.
THE SUSTAINABILITY CHALLENGE IS INTENDED FOR PARTICIPATION BY U.S. RESIDENTS AND WILL BE GOVERNED BY U.S. LAW. DO NOT ENTER IF YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE.
- Contestants must be between the ages of 8 and 18 as of October 4, 2021.
- Contestants under 18 MUST get their parent or legal guardian’s permission to participate in the Challenge.
- All contestants must partner with an adult mentor to be eligible for implementation and/or prize money.
- Original submissions will be accepted only through the Earth Force website. Action Plans will be accepted until January 31, 2022 at 11:59 PM MT and Action Stories will be accepted until March 31, 2022 at 11:59 PM MT.
- Click here to view the Judging Rubric
- If you are under 18, you must have a parent or legal guardian’s permission to enter, and we will verify that permission.
- All finalist groups will be required to complete a photo/video release form allowing Chipotle and Earth Force to use all photo/videos submitted.
- Relatives of employees of Earth Force or Chipotle are ineligible to participate.
- All action proposal entries will be reviewed by a team of experts comprised of agricultural scientists, policy makers, environmental professionals, Chipotle staff, and educators and implementation funding (available on a rolling basis until January 31, 2022) will be distributed to the student group via their adult mentor. All action stories will be reviewed by volunteer judges using the rubric (available at the Earth Force website).
- Prize winners will be announced on earthforce.org as well as Earth Force social media channels and will be notified directly via email.
- The winners will have 72 hours after the announcement/outreach to respond and redeem the prize.
- The winners will be required to provide documentation of their age and identity. The top 30 submissions will have the chance to win prize money. Finalist groups 1-15 will receive $1,000 and finalists 16-30 will receive $500.
- Prizes will be mailed by check to the adult mentor of the winners after confirmation of eligibility. By submitting the project, adult mentors agree to use the prize money to support the winning youth participants. All finalist groups will be required to complete a photo/video release form allowing Chipotle and Earth Force to use all photo/videos submitted.
- Prize winners are responsible for paying income tax on the prize as required by the contestant’s state of residence and by the U.S. government. A W-9 may be required depending on the level of funding awarded. Earth Force is capable of using a tax exempt fiscal agent (school, nonprofit, etc.) to streamline the funding and tax process. Please contact email@example.com with questions or concerns.
- By submitting to this Challenge, contestants understand that his or her entry can be used in promotional materials and campaigns for current and future use by Earth Force and Chipotle for an unlimited period of time. This includes but is not limited to broadcast media, print, and social media use.
- By submitting to this contest, the adult partner’s personal information including name, address, email and phone number will be entered into a database for future marketing efforts set forth by Earth Force. This information will not be sold to any third party and you can unsubscribe at any time. Earth Force will not collect or distribute any personal information of minors.